Employment contract: standard for any employee
A complete contract of employment suitable for all staff below director level in an organisation of any type or size. The document provides strong protection for the employer organisation. The employee may be full time, part time or temporary.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this employment contract
This employment contract covers all legal requirements for information to be given to an employee. It is a carefully considered framework for fair and full protection of the employer and compliance with organisational requirements. Use of plain English makes editing easy and allows it to be understood by all parties.
The size or business of the employer organisation is not important, nor is the position of the employee (this contract can be used for management too, but Net Lawman does provide employment contracts written specifically for senior staff.)
Details such as duties and training provision, can be added easily if required, either within the existing text, or by reference to a job description. In this "information age", all Net Lawman employment contracts are very strong on protection of the employer's secrets and confidential information.
Note: in law part time or casual employees or trainees have exactly the same rights as full timers. This employment contract is flexible to cover your precise requirements. Provided there are no changes to the law, you can reuse this document for all types of employees.
Recent law affecting this contract
This agreement is regularly reviewed as changes in employment law are frequent. It takes into account that:
- the rights of all employees are now the same regardless of whether they work full-time or part-time
- it is unlawful to specify a default retirement age
Additionally, disciplinary procedures now follow procedures recommended by ACAS.
When to use this employment contract
- for any new employee
- to replace your existing contracts which may be out of date
- for any level of employee, though most appropriate to junior and mid-level staff
- the employee may be permanently employed (full or part-time) or temporary
- for organisations of any type: companies, charities, trusts, partnerships, governmental organisations and others
Employment contract features and contents
- Up-to-date and complies with current law
- Follows current best practice recommendations by ACAS and other bodies
- All standard terms for a principal statement
- Strong on protection of employer's confidential information
- Specifics for different jobs, such as duties and training requirements, can be added easily - either within the text, or by reference to a job description
- Structured so as to minimise the administrative burden of legal compliance
The contract of employment includes the following paragraphs:
- Start and continuity
- Trial period (also called a probation period)
- Job title and description
- Place of work
- Work outside the UK
- Hours of work
- Leave for holidays and other reasons
- Sickness and sick pay
- Other business and employment
- No competition
- Intellectual property
- Collective agreements
- Staff handbook and company policies
- Bribery and other corrupt behaviour
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures: in line with ACAS recommendations
- Procedure after termination
- Summary termination
- Reconstruction or amalgamation
- Data protection
- Severance and invalidity
Practicalities this employment contract covers
A contract, written or verbal is made as soon as the employee accepts a job offer. So as to minimise future misunderstandings, we recommend providing a written employment contract with the offer letter, so that the employee can return an acceptance letter with a signed copy of the contract.
By law, all employees must be given a “written statement of employment particulars” within two months of starting work. This is a document that sets out the terms of employment that the employer must disclose, known as a “principal statement”. This employment contract includes all the necessary information to act as a principal statement so that you don’t need to provide this information separately in a letter or another document.
Other employment policies and procedures not within the principal statement (such as data protection) could be included in the contract. However, especially when you have many employees, changing each employee’s contract of employment (and ensuring consistency between employees) every time a new law changes can be time consuming and difficult. It is usual, therefore, to place all procedures and policies common to all staff in an employee handbook and refer to the handbook in the employment contract. This is the approach Net Lawman recommends.
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
How other customers rated this document
Average customer rating
Share your thoughts with other customersCREATE YOUR OWN REVIEW
By Stephen Frost 10 January 2014
Very useful, just what i wanted.
By Terence Connolly 20 December 2013
I have used this service for a number of years for employment contracts, partnership agreements, company purchase and sale agreements and others. I have never been let down or regretted my purchase. All agreements are clear to understand and very easily adapted to suit one's precise circumstances.
Net Lawman responds 09 January 2014
We have a great team and we try hard, so this sort of approval makes us very happy.
By Paul Boardman 02 December 2013
Saved me a lot of time having to construct this myself.
By Martin Howell 06 September 2013
I needed a simple standard empoyment contract - Net Lawman provided this quickly (which was important) at low cost.
By Andy Bosley 24 June 2013
Very good - both document and service.Would recommend you to others.
"I needed an Agreement and Google, as always, was where I headed. I found the Net Lawman site and initially I thought I needed a relationship type Agreement but the Lodger one was absolutely perfect.
I didn't think it would be so easy so would recommend your website to anybody who was looking for an Agreement to suit their needs."Wendy Auger
"Great service - a wide choice of comprehensive legal documents at sensible prices. The documents are easy to amend and in plain English. Fantastic!"David Robertson
"Very comprehensive and easy to read documents. Highly recommend."Steadfast Building Services