Stock transfer form (J10 and J30)

Times have changed. There is no legal or practical requirement for a share transfer form to be in any particular form. The old forms J30 and J10 are no longer relevant. We provide a clean, modern version of the old J30, retaining the characteristic layout so that any user will not worry. We also provide the HMR&C alternative certificates which can be printed on the reverse side of the form or on a second sheet of paper.

£7.20 inc VAT ( £6.00 ex VAT )
Suitable for use in: England & Wales and Scotland
Add To Basket
  • Solicitor approved
  • Plain English makes editing easy
  • Guidance notes included
  • Money back guarantee
Document Detail

About these stock transfer forms

There used to be two types of share transfer form: the J10 was used for two or more transferors and the J30 for just one. Our new form provides for one or two.

The forms can be used to transfer ownership of any shares or other financial instrument in any private limited company (ltd) or public limited company (plc) incorporated in the UK.

The law relating to these forms

There is no statutory legal requirement to use a particular form template over another. The key is to ensure that the correct information is included on the form. Because it is not required under law, Companies House does not maintain copies of the forms.

The stock transfer forms that we sell comply with both the Companies Act 2006 and the requirements of the 2008 Finance Act (though neither specify any particular requirement).

How to use the share transfer form

The share transfer forms are a legal record of the transfer of ownership of shares between two entities. Company law provides for a transfer form to be signed either by the transferor only, or by both the transferor and the transferee. Because very few companies require the signature of the transferee, the standard form of articles of association (often referred to as "Table A") usually excludes the provision for two signatures.

For companies with articles drawn under the Companies Act 2006, the requirement for two signatures has to be positively inserted. It is therefore very rare indeed.

If you manage a public company (plc) you should change your articles to the new style permitted under the 2006 Act.  Most public companies use external registrars to manage their register of shareholders and almost all transactions take place through the Stock Exchange Electronic Trading Service, which does not use a system requiring any signature.

The transferor shareholder should complete the form with his own details then hand or post it to the new shareholder to complete his details. The form should then be sent to the secretary of the company with a request to issue a new share certificate. That certificate is proof of ownership of the shares. First, you should pay stamp duty.

Share transfers are taxed at a rate of 0.5% of the consideration for the shares, rounded to the nearest £5 and subject to a minimum of £10. If the shares were bought for less than £1,000 then the form does not need to be presented to HMR&C for stamping.

If the value paid (actual or ad valorem) is greater than £1,000 you should calculate the duty payable and send the payment and the share transfer form to HMRC for stamping. There are other exemptions to the need to pay duty, which are covered in the guidance notes provided.

Once the share transfer form has been stamped by HMRC (if necessary), a new share certificate can be issued to the new shareholder. The transferor's old share certificate should be returned to the company for cancellation. The record of the new shareholder will appear in the next annual return filed for the company.

There is a legal requirement to update the company's register of transfers and register of members immediately.

You should note that the Registrar of Companies has no authority to compel any part of the transfer procedure.  What is submitted in the annual return will be taken as fact unless some person proves it is false.  In a legal action, the judge will not take note of a share transfer on which stamp duty due has not been paid.

Document Detail

This document was written and is maintained by solicitors at Net Lawman to comply with current English law.

Buy from Net Lawman

UK-CPsha08 - Stock transfer form (J10 and J30) (Suitable for use in: England & Wales and Scotland)

Add To Basket

Reasons to buy from Net Lawman

Guaranteed to be the right document

This document comes with a full money back guarantee. You take no risk that it might not be right for your situation. Once you buy it, we’ll give you 30 days to evaluate it in any way you want. If for any reason it's not right, just e-mail us and we’ll refund your money in full immediately. Read more about our guarantee policy.

Real law

Every document is drawn by an experienced, qualified lawyer and reviewed by another - just as in any law practice. We incorporate changes to the law quickly so that our documents are up to date. Read more about how we draw our documents.

Real world experience added

As much as possible, our documents and guidance notes incorporate practical angles that only lawyers with commercial experience could include. Our drafting team have not just many years experience advising clients in practice, but also have the experience owning and managing businesses in a wide variety of industries. Our documents aim to give you an edge as well as achieving a legal outcome. Read more about the Net Lawman team.

Plain language

We write our documents in language that everyone (and not just lawyers) can understand. Not only does this make your task of editing the document easier, but it also decreases the likelihood of another party breaking or disputing the agreement on the grounds of not having understood the terms. Read more about why plain English is important in legal documents.

Easy to use, even if you have no legal knowledge

Many of our customers are lawyers, but our documents don't require you to be one. Wherever it may be needed, our guidance notes explain the purpose of each paragraph, whether we recommend changing it, and what you might like to consider before you do so.

Our view is that, when editing our documents, you shouldn't have to worry about how to add legal wording. So our documents consider a far greater range of issues than our average customer will need, and because we avoid cross referencing paragraphs, we make it easy for you simply to delete what you don't need without affecting the rest of the document.

Support from lawyers if you need it

Our legal team is on hand to help customise a document in an unusual circumstances, or even to draft a document from scratch. Read more about our contract drafting service.

Buy once and reuse

When you buy a document from us, we grant you a licence to use it again. Keep the master copy safe and create new child documents from it whenever you need them. This applies to lawyers in practice as well as individuals and businesses.

Document download and delivery

Immediately after payment, you can download your document from our website. We also deliver immediately by email, but delivery is out of our hands and may take a few minutes.

Contact us about this document

If you have any questions about this document that we don't answer in the text above, please contact us and let us know how we can help. We aim to reply within 24 hours.