New route for private companies to reduce share capital
Under the Companies (Reduction of Share Capital) Order 2008, which took effect from 1 October 2008, private limited companies can reduce their share capital by the new solvency statement route. This does not require court involvement.
If a company chooses the new route, it must pass a special resolution.
If you are part of a private company limited holding shares registered in any part of the UK, read on.
How to pass the special resolution
Not more than 15 days before passing the resolution, the directors must send to the shareholders (or make available at the meeting to pass the resolution) a solvency statement, which states in their opinion that:
- At that date there are no grounds on which the company could be found unable to pay or settle its debts;
- If it intends to start concluding business in the next 12 months, the company will be able to pay its debts in full within 12 months of ceasing operation;
- In any other case the company will be able to pay or settle its debts on time during the following year.
The company must prepare a memorandum of capital depicting details of the reduced share capital.
- Within 15 days of passing the resolution, the company must deliver to the Registrar of Companies;
- A copy of the solvency statement and the resolution;
- The memorandum;
- A further directors' statement confirming that the solvency statement was made no more than 15 days before the resolution and a copy (or copies) sent or made available to the shareholders as required.
The old system of seeking a court order still applies. This new method simply introduces a choice. If directors do use the solvency statement route, they do not have to obtain professional advice.
Distributions are subject to certain exceptions. Reserves resulting from a reduction of capital can be distributed as "realised profits" for the purposes of Part 23 of the Companies Act 2006.
Public companies cannot use the solvency statement route. They must continue to reduce their share capital by a special resolution confirmed by court order.
Need the legal documents?
A template solvency statement, memorandum and resolution are available to download from Net lawman using the links on this page. The documents come with full explanatory notes and a step by step ‘how to’.
Related document: Reduction in share capital
Please note that the information provided on this page:
- Does not provide a complete or authoritative statement of the law;
- Does not constitute legal advice by Net Lawman;
- Does not create a contractual relationship;
- Does not form part of any other advice, whether paid or free.
Contact us about this article
If you have any questions about this article that we don't answer in the text above, please contact us and let us know how we can help. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
Leave feedback about this page
If you have noticed a bug or a mistake on this page, or just want to give us feedback, we'd love to know. Nothing is too small or too big. Send your message on this feedback page.
Reduction of share capital: notices and minutesPrice £29.00 Format Available: Read More
What our clients say about us...
"Net Lawman has helped me through several procedures. The documents in plain English, the drafting service and the delightful customer service means I can get the job done properly, at a price that doesn't affect a small businesses bottom line. Thank you!"
"Efficient & fast way to create legal docs."
"I was recommended to you some time ago - many thanks for an excellent document. I have you in my favourites Easy to navigate website - clearly displayed and simple to understand. Very easy to use and edit document in clear English. It has enabled me to present a professional and relevant document to my customers with ease. I will recommend Net Lawman due to easy to use website, documents in clear English and easy to edit, very reasonable and prompt."