Agricultural land licence

To hold a show; fair or other event
Select support levelCompare
Save 50% on Lawyer Assist!
Celebrating 25 years in business with a half-price sale. Limited time offer - ends 31 July!
50% Discount

Document overview

This agreement allows you to give permission to someone else to hold an event, show or fair on your land for a short and specific period of time. The types of events that could be held include local shows, equestrian competitions or wedding parties. Since the land is likely to be of high value, the document contains provisions that ensure the occupier looks after it.
Compliant with the latest law in
  • England & Wales
  • Scotland
Document propertied
Document properties
  • Length:10 pages (2700 words)
  • Available in:
    MsWordMicrosoft Word DOCXApple pagesApple PagesRTFRTF
watertight guarantee
Backed by our watertight guarantee

If the document isn’t right for your circumstances for any reason, just tell us and we’ll refund you in full immediately.

writing in plain english
Written in plain English

We avoid legal terminology unless necessary. Plain English makes our documents easy to understand, easy to edit and more likely to be accepted.

Guidance notes included

You don’t need legal knowledge to use our documents. We explain what to edit and how in the guidance notes included at the end of the document.

Support from our legal team

Email us with questions about editing your document. Use our Lawyer Assist service if you’d like our legal team to check your document will do as you intend.

Up to date with the latest law

Our documents comply with the latest relevant law. Our lawyers regularly review how new law affects each document in our library.

About this agreement

Use this agreement to allow a third party to use your land for an event. Whatever it is, it should take place for a short period of time, such as over three days in June, or every third Saturday in the month between March and September. The agreement allows additional time for setting out, packing up and cleaning.

Example uses would be to allow:

  • a local show or an equestrian three day event
  • a non-agricultural show such as a fireworks display, a temporary fairground, a fete or a circus
  • a car boot sale or a farmers market
  • product displays of goods - tents, caravans, tractors or other machinery in a field
  • sports competitions, whether a show jumping competition or a community football match
  • weddings or other private parties (somewhere to put a marquee)

The law relating to this licence

Land law that applies to agricultural tenancies, namely the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 and the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995 is not applicable to licences to occupy such as this one.

The law in this document is common law, giving you greater flexibility to decide your own terms with your licensee.

Important to the licence remaining as such, and not becoming a lease (giving more rights to the tenant) is that the landlord retains access to the land at all times and remains in control of and responsible for services (such as electricity and water) and larger maintenance works.

Other permissions for the use of the land may be likely, for purposes such as serving alcohol or using it in a particular way (local councils tend to control who may and may not run certain events, even if it takes place on private land).

This document does not remove the need for the organiser to obtain all other relevant permissions from other sources to run the event.

When to use this document

This licence grants permission to occupy land for a specific purpose for a specific, limited amount of time.

If the occupation is continual and for more than a short period (say 3 months), then using an agricultural property lease such as this one might be more suitable. However, if the use is recurring but for a short period (such as a car boot sale every Sunday for four months) then this licence should be used.

This licence is suitable for a large number of different uses for the land, from shows, to car parking for an event nearby. The licensee could be an individual or a business.


  • Grant of licence
  • Requirements for licensee’s use of land (23 optional items)
  • Use of services
  • Insurance and indemnity against problems
  • Access to the land
  • Termination of the agreement
Sample agricultural land licenceSample page from the agricultural land licence to hold an event

CallTalk to us about this document

We are happy to answer any questions you have. Arrange for us to call you.

Choose the level of support you need

Document Only

Complete the document template yourself using our guidance notes
(incl VAT)
  • ok This document
  • okDetailed guidance notes explaining how to edit each paragraph
50% Discount

Lawyer Assist

Support from our legal team during and after editing
205 Reviews
(incl VAT)
  • ok This document
  • okDocument with guidance notes explaining how to edit each paragraph
  • okUnlimited email support - ask our legal team any question related to completing the document
  • ok
    Review of your edited document by our legal team including:
    • reporting on whether your changes comply with the law
    • answering your questions about how to word a new clause or achieve an outcome
    • checking that your use of defined terms is correct and consistent
    • correcting spelling mistakes
    • reformatting the document ready to sign
© 1999 - 2024 Net Lawman Limited.
All rights reserved