Car park lease agreement
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
This car or lorry park lease is suitable for letting any land used for parking vehicles, from a temporary building site to a warehouse with an extensive outside area to a formally laid out, permanent park.
The agreement allows for existing buildings or items of plant (e.g. an office or car wash) to be included within the lease. It ensures that the property is maintained - for example, with respect to fencing and security features.
The interest of the landlord rather than the tenant is given preference throughout. Editing the document could soften the terms more towards the favour of the tenant if necessary.
Provided the term (duration) is seven years or less, it does not need to be registered at the Land Registry.
We offer a less specific lease for land that is used for other purposes. This is for vacant land or land with plant or buildings.
We sell another version of this lease, aimed at property developers, solicitors and surveyors, that contains some additional paragraphs covering more technical points. You might be interested in looking at this one if you need:
- the option to sublet the land (or part of it)
- an authorised guarantee agreement
- more extensive landlord's warranties
- references to land registration because the lease has a term greater than 7 years
- prescribed lease clauses
If you are still not sure, there is more information on our page that helps you choose which business property lease to use.
Plain English is used throughout except where it is necessary to use legal terms common in this field of law.
The key contents of this agreement are:
- standard guarantor terms
- options for transfer or assignment to another party
- sub-letting forbidden
- option to include a break clause for premature termination by the tenant
- a choice of options for rent reviews
- opt-out of Sections 24-28 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954
The law in this document
The law is contained primarily in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, amended many times.
Account has also been taken of:
- the Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995
- the Regulatory Reform Regulations 2003
- the Joint Committee's Code for Leasing Business Premises
- the RICS' Code on Service Charges
In balancing the codes with the law and the Landlord's interest, we have followed the codes where reasonable, but have always preferred to favour the Landlord if possible.
This template is comprehensive, providing alternative choices for important decisions.
The contents include 29 provisions and 2 schedules covering:
- rent: amount, other payments, interest on overdue rent, periodic review
- condition and repair
- tenant's positive obligations
- restrictions on tenant: prohibited activities on the property
- signs and advertisements
- goods and vehicles
- assignment of the lease
- indemnities by the tenant
- security deposit
- access for landlord
- termination: default notice by landlord; provision for premature termination (a break clause)
- security of tenure excluded
- Schedule 1: rights reserved
- Schedule 2: draft agreement for a security deposit agreement
Scottish version of this lease
The law governing commercial leases is substantially different in Scotland as compared with England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In Scotland there is no equivalent to the Landlord and Tenant Acts. There is little legislation or case law relating to leases in Scotland. So the version we have drawn for our Scottish user is common law based.
On registration of leases in Scotland, only commercial leases for longer than 20 years must be registered in the Land Register of Scotland. However, the lease is often registered in the Books of Council and Session in Edinburgh.
For the Scottish version of this lease please select "Scotland" from the list in top box.
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
"I have used you in the past and am always impressed!"Diane Bantten (Acquit Debt Recovery)
"Your site is very easy to understand I have used you a few times and you are the best on line."Cornerstones Lettings Carmarthen
"Great service - a wide choice of comprehensive legal documents at sensible prices. The documents are easy to amend and in plain English. Fantastic!"David Robertson