Letter to employee: reasons for dismissal
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
An employee is entitled to receive written reasons why he or she was dismissed within 14 days of a request for that information if he or she:
- has been in continuous employment with the employer in excess of one year
- has been dismissed
- has requested a written reason
Alternatively, the employee has been dismissed while she was pregnant or during maternity leave, then she is entitled to receive a written statement for her dismissal, irrespective of her length of employment.
If you fail to comply with the request, the employee may present a claim at a tribunal. If the complaint is well-founded, the tribunal must order the employer to pay the employee two weeks gross pay. Avoid these harsh implications by using a comprehensive letter such as this one.
Of course it is good practice to use a letter not only when requested, but automatically, every time an employee is dismissed, for whatever reason.
Application and features
- Aids compliance with employment legislation
- Informs an employee of their employment situation
- Ensures your compliance with section 92 the Employment Rights Act 1996
- Names and details of the employer and employee
- Formal, direct letter detailing the reason for the dismissal
- Examples of reasons that would ensure compliance so that the dismissal remains fair
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
"I was really pleased with my recent experience of using Net Lawman. I was able to obtain important legal documents, needed to support my small business. Net Lawman understood my needs and provided fast and efficient service without incurring the significant costs of a traditional law firm. I would both recommend and use Net lawman again"Shireen Arthur
"If only everything was as reliable as NetLawman. We have used them on numerous occasions & they deliver without fail. Whether we require off the shelf legal documents, bespoke contracts or even ad hoc advice they are there for us. It is like having our own legal team but without the costs that this would entail. Pickaweb has no hesitation in recommending NetLawman as one of our best suppliers."Pilar Torres Wahlberg
"I used Netlawman.co.uk to pre-work some contracts for my lawyer. He came back stating that the forms were 'excellent' and saved me several billable hours."Chris T.