Letter to employee: reasons for dismissal
This is a letter detailing the reason for an employee's dismissal. Ensures that the employee understands why he/she was dismissed, thereby reducing the probability that he/she will make an unfair dismissal claim against you.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
An employee is entitled to receive written reasons why he or she was dismissed within 14 days of a request for that information if he or she:
- has been in continuous employment with the employer in excess of one year
- has been dismissed
- has requested a written reason
Alternatively, the employee has been dismissed while she was pregnant or during maternity leave, then she is entitled to receive a written statement for her dismissal, irrespective of her length of employment.
If you fail to comply with the request, the employee may present a claim at a tribunal. If the complaint is well-founded, the tribunal must order the employer to pay the employee two weeks gross pay. Avoid these harsh implications by using a comprehensive letter such as this one.
Of course it is good practice to use a letter not only when requested, but automatically, every time an employee is dismissed, for whatever reason.
Application and features
- Aids compliance with employment legislation
- Informs an employee of their employment situation
- Ensures your compliance with section 92 the Employment Rights Act 1996
- Names and details of the employer and employee
- Formal, direct letter detailing the reason for the dismissal
- Examples of reasons that would ensure compliance so that the dismissal remains fair
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
"I have used you in the past and am always impressed!"Diane Bantten (Acquit Debt Recovery)
"A great site for small business owners. I have required two documents and you have been able to provide both at a modest cost. Both documents have met with my requirements and saved me on legal fees. Keep up the good work."Warren Brogden
"We are a small UK business who can not afford our costs to get out of control. NetLawman is a great option for young small businesses."CCF(Automotive) Training & Consultancy Ltd.