Employment contract: construction industry
This contract is tailored for workers in the construction industry: builders, brick layers, joiners, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, scaffolders or any other trade. It is suitable for qualified staff and for part-qualified apprentices, and the employee may be full time or part-time. It is written in plain English, making it easy to complete.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this employment contract
This is a very similar agreement to our standard contract, but has been tailored to suit employers of tradesmen and construction workers.
It can be used for new employees or to replace outdated contracts of existing staff, whether qualified, part-qualified or trainees. It can be used for full, part-time and temporary employment.
It includes additional paragraphs that confirm that the employee has achieved the qualifications required or stated for the position. Information about duties and further training can be added easily, either within the existing text, or by reference to a job description.
This agreement is suitable whether the employer is a sole trader employing his or her first employee on a part-time basis, or a company with hundreds of full time employees. It is flexible to cover your precise requirements.
This agreement covers all legal requirements for information to be given to an employee. Use of plain English makes editing easy and allows it to be understood by all parties.
Recent law affecting this contract
This agreement is regularly reviewed as changes in employment law are frequent. For example, it takes into account that:
- the rights of all employees are now the same regardless of whether they work full-time or part-time
- it is unlawful to specify a default retirement age
Additionally, disciplinary procedures now follow procedures recommended by ACAS.
Features and contents
- Complies with current law
- Follows current best practice recommendations by ACAS and other bodies
- All standard terms for a principal statement
- Specifics for different jobs, such as duties and training requirements, can be added easily - either within the text, or by reference to a job description
- Structured so as to minimise the administrative burden of legal compliance
The document includes the following paragraphs:
- Start and continuity
- Trial period (or probation period)
- Qualifications necessary for employment
- Job title and description
- Place of work
- Work outside the UK
- Hours of work
- Leave for holidays and other reasons
- Sickness and sick pay
- Other business and employment
- No competition
- Intellectual property
- Collective agreements
- Staff handbook and company policies
- Bribery and other corrupt behaviour
- Garden leave
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures: in line with ACAS recommendations
- Procedure after termination
- Summary termination
- Reconstruction or amalgamation
- Data protection
- Severance and invalidity
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
By Matthew Layzell 16 February 2014
This document provided an invaluable platform which I could develop and tailor to meet my own specific requirements. I found the service extremely easy and the document was clear, informative and very easy to adapt. I feel confident that my new employees will be able to read and fully understand the terms of their employment and I as the employer have gained piece of mind in knowing that I have a document in place that is legible and official. I would wholeheartedly recommended this document to any potential new employer.
By Dawn Warrington 07 July 2015
No mention of apprenticeship.
Otherwise very easy to use (if a little long) and seems to tie up everything else you can think of.
Couldn't see how the bit about Intellectual Property was really going to be relevant to your average electrician / plumber.
Net Lawman responds 11 August 2015
Apprenticeship has additional legal issues. Rather than load into every employment contract, we offer a separate one for apprentice employment. As for IP and plumbers, we would probably bet against you !
"I have used you in the past and am always impressed!"Diane Bantten (Acquit Debt Recovery)
"First class . Written in accessible English - consistently to "you" and rendered down to the true essentials. Saved a great deal of time!"Ian Binks
"Efficient & fast way to create legal docs."Infobahn