IT consultant contract
This contract is for use by an individual IT consultant working with large or small clients on any work. It is an umbrella version suitable for either a single instruction, or for multiple or continuing assignments. Assists in establishing your status as a consultant for tax purposes. It is drawn to be acceptable to a client but strongly protects the consultant.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this IT consultancy contract
This document is suitable for any individual who calls himself a IT consultant. Of course your industry sector affects the work you do. But this is a legal document, not a specification for your work. This contract is for an individual consultant to present to any client as his contract. See below for alternative consultancy contracts. It may be edited either by you before you submit it , or in negotiation with your client. It is drawn to protect you, the consultant, but should also be acceptable to your clients.
This is an “umbrella” contract, set up for the possibility of future assignments under the same terms. That way, if you want more work from the same client, all you have to do is define it and refer to this agreement. Even if you expect never to enter into a new work assignment, you do not have to delete anything on that account.
The consultancy contract provides for the specification of work to be placed in a schedule to this agreement on the first time it is used. All later assignments of work will automatically be subject to this contract.
There are options in several areas, notably contract summary, payment systems and working arrangements.
- Ease of use (as always with Net Lawman documents)
- Thorough coverage of legal areas
- Practical, alternative business provisions
- No requirement for you be your own lawyer
The law in this IT consultant’s agreement
There is little statute law in this consultancy agreement. It depends on basic contract law and tort.
Alternatives to this IT consultant’s agreement
Net Lawman publishes three types of consultancy contract:
- for a corporate consultancy to offer to its client
- for a single consultant working alone or with colleagues or sub-contractors (this contract)
- for the client of a consultant to offer to a consultant, to protect his own interest.
Each of these three is available in three versions:
- for IT consultants,
- for HR consultants,
- and for any other.
The IT and HR versions contain more provisions relating to aspects of IT and HR, but the legal framework is the same in all.
You can see the full selection at Consultancy agreements.
Contents of this agreement
- Definitions and interpretation
- Preliminary legal matters
- Consultant's status
- Contract summary and payment
- Consultant's requirements and obligations
- Option for exclusions from contract - matters which could be misunderstood
- Option for use of sub-contractors
- New intellectual property
- Intellectual property rights indemnity by client
- Option for no competition (if your client insists)
- Limitation of your liability
- Duration and termination
- Other legal provisions
- Publicity / Announcements
- Miscellaneous matters
- over 2,100 words of helpful and informative drafting notes
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
By Anthony Green 05 December 2013
Provided exactly what I needed. Document was clearly written and easy to understand. Modifications to suit my particular circumstances were easily inserted.
By Alan Gerrish 01 July 2013
I could not preview the document but the content seemed to fulfill my requirements.
"I have used you in the past and am always impressed!"Diane Bantten (Acquit Debt Recovery)
"Easy to find use. Plain English. Good precedent."Diane Bantten
"Wide array of options to choose from, and the opportunity to email for assistance in deciding. Knowing it was a legal viewpoint, and therefore sound advice."Charlotte Heather