Office lease agreement: self contained building
This is an easy to use lease for letting the whole of an office building to only one tenant for business purposes.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this lease
This lease should be used where you have a single tenant renting a detached building as offices.
It is easy to edit, comprehensive in coverage of important issues, and has been drawn to prefer the interest of the landlord where possible, rather than that of the tenant.
Provided the term is seven years or less, the document does not need to be registered at the Land Registry.
We sell similar versions of this lease if:
- you are letting the building to multiple tenants
- the office is situated on a business park and you require provisions for service charge recovery
- the lease is for a shop or retail unit with an office
We sell another version that contains some additional paragraphs covering more technical points. You might be interested in looking at this lease agreement if you need any of the following:
- provisions for sub-letting
- provisions for an authorised guarantee agreement
- extensive landlord's warranties
- references to land registration for leases with a term greater than 7 years
- prescribed lease clauses
Plain English is used throughout except where it is necessary to use legal terms common in this field of law.
The key features of this template can be summarised as:
- standard guarantor
- options for transfer or assignment to another party
- sub-letting forbidden
- option to include a break clause for premature termination by the tenant
- a choice of options for rent reviews
- opt-out of Sections 24-28 of the LTA 1954
The law in this document
Business lease law is regulated primarily by the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, amended many times.
Account has also been taken of:
- the Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995
- the Regulatory Reform Regulations 2003
- the Joint Committee's Code for Leasing Business Premises
- the RICS' Code on Service Charges
This lease is comprehensive, providing alternative choices for important decisions.
It contains 28 provisions and 2 schedules covering:
- rent: period, amount, other payments, interest on overdue rent, periodic review
- condition and repair
- tenant's positive obligations
- restrictions on tenant: prohibited activities on the property
- signs and advertisements
- assignment of the lease
- indemnities by the tenant
- security deposit
- access for landlord
- termination: default notice by landlord; provision for premature termination (a break clause)
- security of tenure excluded
- Schedule 1: rights reserved
- Schedule 2: draft agreement for a security deposit
The law governing commercial leases is substantially different in Scotland as compared with England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In Scotland there is no equivalent to the LTA and there is little legislation or case law. So the version we have drawn for our Scottish user is common law based.
On registration of leases in Scotland, only commercial leases for longer than 20 years must be registered in the Land Register of Scotland. However, the lease is often registered in the Books of Council and Session in Edinburgh.
For the Scottish version of this agreement please select "Scotland" from the list in top box.
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
By Michael Foster 27 April 2015
Excellent website, Documents available are very clear and cover a large range of requirements.
By maureen talbot 10 April 2013
Easy to use, clear and concise, personal specifications made easy. Love the website and will always use it again. Many thanks
"I have used you in the past and am always impressed!"Diane Bantten (Acquit Debt Recovery)
"Net Lawman has helped me through several procedures. The documents in plain English, the drafting service and the delightful customer service means I can get the job done properly, at a price that doesn't affect a small businesses bottom line. Thank you!"Dan White
"I have been really impressed by your service and will use your company again, and more importantly, recommend it."Sandra