This is a lease that creates a farm business tenancy (FBT) under the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995. It is a comprehensive document, suitable for long terms from 2 years to 60 years.
This document should be used if:
- All or part of the land is farmed for trade throughout the tenancy.
- Parties exchange notices at the beginning of the tenancy saying that the agreement is and will remain FBT.
- If the circumstances of occupation suggest that the character of the tenancy is primarily agricultural.
The document provides strong protection for the landlord with 62 tenant's covenants (positive obligations and restrictions on the tenant to ensure that the land is used as the owner wishes).
Features include options for:
- Regular rent reviews
- Cover of entitlements
- Milk quota - ensures no transfer from either party at any time
- Tenant may not assign the lease or sublet the property
- Redundant buildings - not required to be maintained
- Insurance - choice for either party to be responsible
- Guarantor - essential if the tenant is a company