Use one of our farm business tenancy agreements when letting agricultural land or property to a farming business, or when both sides agree that a FBTA is suitable for the circumstances. We provide two: a simpler, short term one suitable as a grazing lease, and a longer term one containing a larger menu of provisions for longer leases.
Farm business tenancy agreements
This is a lease that creates a farm business tenancy (FBT) under the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995. It is a comprehensive document, suitable for long terms from 2 years to 60 years.
This document should be used if:
- All or part of the land is farmed for trade throughout the tenancy.
- Parties exchange notices at the beginning of the tenancy saying that the agreement is and will remain FBT.
- If the circumstances of occupation suggest that the character of the tenancy is primarily agricultural.
The document provides strong protection for the landlord with 62 tenant's covenants (positive obligations and restrictions on the tenant to ensure that the land is used as the owner wishes).
Features include options for:
- Regular rent reviews
- Cover of entitlements
- Milk quota - ensures no transfer from either party at any time
- Tenant may not assign the lease or sublet the property
- Redundant buildings - not required to be maintained
- Insurance - choice for either party to be responsible
- Guarantor - essential if the tenant is a company
This document creates a farm business tenancy under the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995.
It is suitable where either party agree that the agreement is a farm business tenancy, or where the property being let will be farmed or used for agricultural business purposes.
- Short form agreement with a simple structure
- For a term shorter than two years
- Strong protection for the landlord and fair treatment for the tenant
Leases with terms shorter than 2 years automatically expire at the end of the fixed term, which means that there is no requirement for the landlord to give notice.
The document is suitable to be used as a short term grazing lease.
We are happy to answer any questions you have. Arrange for us to call you.
If the document isn’t right for your circumstances for any reason, just tell us and we’ll refund you in full immediately.
We avoid legal terminology unless necessary. Plain English makes our documents easy to understand, easy to edit and more likely to be accepted.
You don’t need legal knowledge to use our documents. We explain what to edit and how in the guidance notes included at the end of the document.
Email us with questions about editing your document. Use our Lawyer Assist service if you’d like our legal team to check your document will do as you intend.
Our documents comply with the latest relevant law. Our lawyers regularly review how new law affects each document in our library.