Horse sharing agreement: competing
This is a shared ownership agreement for a sport horse, where one of the owners is a competition rider, and the other a financial backer.
Sharing ownership of a sport horse has advantages for both the rider a backer. It can give a rider a financial or motivational incentive to perform, and it can reduce the upkeep costs and the responsibility of the backer.
Just as in any business arrangement, an informal agreement can lead to numerous problems later. The aim of this equine sharing agreement is to set out not only a record of ownership, but of agreed responsibility: for management, care and competitions. With it, backers will find that they aren't just a source of finance.
Matters covered include:
- Safekeeping of any passport and other records
- Care standards, and location and terms of stabling
- Agreement in which events to compete
- Third party services: including vet, farrier and physio
- Termination of the agreement