What is Completion?

| 2 min read

Completion means the day agreed between parties for the sale to occur and when the remainder of the sale proceeds is given to the seller. If you are the buyer, you can then move into the property and start living in your new home.

However, the conveyancing process does not stop there as documentation work continues even after you may have moved in. Your solicitor or licensed conveyancer will be in the process of filling various forms to make the deal valid under law and to register the property under your name.

Notice of Assignment

If you are buying from a leaseholder's landlord, you will be served with a notice of assignment informing you of your obligations towards the leaseholder. Most mortgage lenders have made notice of assignment a requirement as it is one of the items in a lease which can affect the registration of property in your name.

Documents you should receive upon completion

You should make sure to have received the following documents after the date of completion:

  • Title deed - Make sure you have a copy of title deed. However, nowadays, the Land Registry has become all digital.
  • Copy of lease - If the property you have purchased is a leasehold, ensure that your solicitor gives you a copy of the lease and service charge accounts or forecasts.
  • Management Information Pack - If you bought leasehold or have opted for a shared ownership scheme, you should make sure you receive the Management Information Pack.
  • Report on the title - Also ask your solicitor to provide his/her report on the title. It is an important document to keep handy as it provides a summary of the legal title and property search results.
  • Property Information Form - You should also have the Property Information Form, which contains practical information regarding the property such as the location of water stop cock, electricity and gas meters.
  • Fitting and Contents Form - The seller will have filled out a Fitting and Contents Form which tells you precisely what fittings and content of the property you will be purchasing if you are the buyer. Therefore, you should ensure to have received a copy of the Fitting and Contents Form.
  • Warranties - You should have a copy of your Buildmark (NHBC) or other new home policy or warranty documents if you purchase a new build or property that is less than 10 years old.
  • Payment of stamp duty - You should receive a confirmation from your solicitor or licensed conveyancer within 30 days of completion that the stamp duty has been paid. You will receive a stamp duty receipt proving that the stamp duty has been paid.
  • Indemnity Insurance Policy - Further, you should have a copy of any restrictive covenant indemnity insurance policy, chancel repair indemnity insurance or any other indemnity insurance if required by your solicitor. This will be mentioned in your solicitor's report on title.
  • Energy Performance Certificate - It is mandatory to have Energy Performance Certificate when a property is being sold. However, the seller has to arrange for Energy Performance Certificate, and as a buyer, you would want to ensure that the EPC Certificate is in place. 


Upon completion, the buyer pays the seller the agreed sale price, whereas, the seller hands over the keys to the house to the buyer. He can then start living in the house. However, the legal process involved does not stop, even after completion.

Your solicitor or licensed conveyancer continues to file important documents with the relevant authorities to ensure that a clear title passes on to you and that your ownership of the new property is secured.

Click here if you want to find out what happens on completion day. 

Please note that the information provided on this page:

  • Does not provide a complete or authoritative statement of the law;
  • Does not constitute legal advice by Net Lawman;
  • Does not create a contractual relationship;
  • Does not form part of any other advice, whether paid or free.
Contact us about this article

We would love to hear what you think about this article and how we could improve it. Please do let us know. However, we shan't be able to reply to your specific questions. If you have a question about a document, please contact us.

Leave feedback about this page