Council tax on second house

Last updated: July 2024 | 3 min read

Council tax on second homes in the UK involves additional charges set by local councils to discourage vacancies and increase revenue. This article will help you understand these regulations and possible exemptions to better manage your financial obligations.

If you are wondering about the taxes on your secondary home, then you may want to consider the following topics as well.

Stamp duty on a second home and stamp duty on a property you buy to let.

Why do we pay council tax?

Council tax in the UK serves as a local taxation system, implemented to finance various local services. Each residential property falls into a council tax band, a categorisation based on the property's value.

This tax supports services like rubbish collection, local schools, and road maintenance. Your local council sets the rate, reflecting the cost of these services.

Difference between council tax for primary and secondary homes

Council tax for a primary residence differs from that of a secondary home in several aspects. The primary home, defined as your main residence, typically attracts a standard council tax bill. Conversely, second homes, not your main residence, may incur additional charges.

These include the empty property premium or a reduced council tax bill, depending on specific local council regulations and the property's occupancy status.

Defining a second home for council tax purposes

A property qualifies as a second home for council tax if it's not your sole or main residence. This classification applies even if you use the property periodically. Second homes often include holiday houses or flats used for part of the year.

The key factor is that you reside elsewhere most of the time. Local authorities in the UK consider several factors to determine if a property falls under this category. These include your physical presence at the property, the amount of time you spend there, and the nature of your occupancy.

Impact of occupancy and usage on council tax status

Your council tax obligations can vary based on how you use your second home. If a property is furnished and capable of being lived in, it's typically subject to council tax. However, if your second home is rented out for short periods, it might be assessed differently. For instance, self-catering properties available for short-term rentals can be subject to business rates instead of council tax.

The distinction between a second home and a rental property is crucial as it influences the amount of council tax you pay or if you're liable at all.

Calculating council tax on a second home

Calculating council tax for a second home involves several factors. Primarily, it depends on the council tax band of the property, which is determined by its valuation. Each local authority sets a standard council tax charge for each band. However, for second homes, you might face a council tax premium.

This additional charge aims to discourage the keeping of properties empty and can significantly increase your council tax bill. The exact amount varies depending on local policies and the length of time the property remains empty.

Each property in the UK is assigned to a council tax band based on its market value. This band determines the normal council tax bill you'd pay for a primary residence. However, for a second home, the full council tax charge can differ.

Local authorities have the discretion to charge up to a 100% premium on top of the standard council tax rate for second homes. This means you may have to pay the full amount of council tax, or more, depending on the local council's policy towards second properties.

Council tax premiums for second homes

When do council tax premiums apply to second homes?

Council tax premiums on second homes become relevant under specific conditions. Billing authorities in the UK have the discretion to impose additional charges on homes that are not the owner's main residence. This premium aims to encourage occupancy and reduce the number of empty properties.

The criteria for imposing these premiums include the length of time the property has been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished. Typically, homes that have been empty for two years or more may face this premium. However, exceptions exist, such as properties left empty due to the owner's job-related accommodation elsewhere.

Regional variations in council tax premiums

Council tax premiums for second homes can vary significantly across different regions in the UK. Local authorities have the autonomy to set their own rates within the framework of national legislation. For instance, in some areas, the premium may be higher for properties that have been empty for a longer duration.

Coastal regions, popular for holiday homes, might implement different premiums compared to urban areas. Homeowners should check with their local council to understand the specific premiums applicable in their area.

Discounts and exemptions on second home council tax

Eligibility for council tax discounts on second homes

Homeowners may be eligible for council tax discounts on their second homes under certain circumstances. The eligibility criteria for these discounts vary by local authority.

Common factors influencing eligibility include the property being furnished, used as a holiday home, or if the owner is prevented from occupying the property due to legal restrictions.

Some areas offer discounts for properties undergoing renovations. It's crucial for homeowners to contact their local council to understand the specific discount criteria and how to apply.

When is a second home exempt from council tax?

Certain conditions can render a second home completely exempt from council tax.

Common exemptions include the property being part of the armed forces accommodation or used for job-related purposes. Properties that are compulsorily purchased and awaiting demolition also fall under this category.

If a property remains empty due to the owner's death, specific exemption rules apply, for a limited period. Homeowners should consult their local council to confirm if their property qualifies for any exemptions and the necessary steps to claim them.

Council tax responsibilities for second homes and holiday lets

Who pays the council tax?

The owner and not the tenant, of a second property in the UK bears the responsibility for paying council tax, regardless of how the property is used.

In the case of holiday lets, this rule applies even if the property is rented out for short periods. This contrasts with the arrangement for long-term rentals, where tenants usually take on the council tax payment.

For you, as a second homeowner, you should understand that regardless of occupancy status, the council tax obligation remains with you, the owner.

Differences in council tax for holiday lets and second homes

Council tax implications for your second property vary based on its usage. If you rent out your property as a self-catering holiday let for more than 140 days a year, it might be classified for business rates instead of council tax.

This could lead to different tax liabilities. On the other hand, if your second home is not rented out and remains unoccupied or is used privately, it could be subject to a council tax discount or an empty homes premium. These terms vary by local authority, and you should check with yours for specific details.

Consequences of not paying council tax on a second home

Not fulfilling your council tax obligations can have severe consequences. Initially, the local council will likely send reminders and final notices for unpaid taxes.

If these are ignored, legal proceedings can commence, possibly leading to court summons and additional legal fees.

Persistent non-payment can escalate to enforcement actions such as deductions from wages or benefits, bailiffs seizing property, or in extreme cases, bankruptcy proceedings.

You must address any council tax arrears promptly to avoid these severe repercussions.

Navigating legal disputes over council tax bills

Occasionally, you might find yourself in a dispute over council tax, be it due to an incorrect property banding or a disagreement over who is liable.

In such cases, you must first contact your local council for a resolution. Should the dispute persist, you have the option to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

It’s important to note that during the dispute process, you should continue paying the current council tax bill to prevent arrears from building up.

Staying informed and proactive in addressing any council tax issues can prevent legal complications and ensure compliance with local regulations.

© 2000 - 2024 Net Lawman Limited.
All rights reserved