What documents are needed when selling your home?

| 1 min read

You need to carefully plan out the process of selling your home if you want to avoid unnecessary delays. You should gather the majority documents before you find a buyer. This will help save time and speed up the conveyancing process. Generally, you will require the following documents:

Proof of identity

Your conveyancer will request you to provide a proof of address such as a utility bill and a Photo ID.

Title deeds

Title deeds are proof of ownership. It would help if you kept them handy.

You can also download a copy of your title deeds from the Land Registry website for a few pounds.

Seller’s Property Information Form (TA6)

The Seller’s Property Information Form (TA6) is quite lengthy. You will be required to complete it and forward it to the buyer’s conveyancer. Click here if you want to know more about the kind of question the Seller’s Property Information Form (TA6) includes.

Usually, your conveyancer will provide you with a copy of the Seller’s Property Information Form (TA6). However, it will be beneficial for you if you take a look at it in advance. This will reduce delays when you find a buyer.

Download a specimen copy of the Seller’s Property Information Form (TA6) by clicking here.

Shared freehold documentation

If you own a share of the freehold, you will be required to provide documents relating to the freehold structure. Similarly, if your home is a leasehold, you will need to provide a copy of the lease.

Leasehold Information Form (TA7)

Leasehold Information Form (TA7) is another lengthy form which you will have to complete.

To avoid any delays, it would be best f you can complete this before you find a buyer.

You can download a specimen copy of the Leasehold Information Form (TA7) by clicking here.

Management Information Pack

Management Information Pack contains documents provided by the managing agent or the freeholder such as those relating to service charges and disputes.

Filling out this form is one of the biggest causes of delay in the conveyancing process.

Fittings and content form (TA10)

You will be required to fill out the Fittings and content form (TA10). This will identify which fixtures and fittings in your home will be included and excluded from the sale price.

It will be highly beneficial if you take a look at a specimen of the Fittings and content form (TA10).

Energy Performance Certificate

EPC is a document which provides information regarding the energy consumption of the property. Further, it includes information about the cost of energy being consumed, highlights the inefficiencies and provides recommendations that will make the property more efficient in energy consumption.

You must have applied for one before you put your home on the market. Click here if you want to know more about Energy Performance Certificates.

Mortgage details

You will need to provide details of your mortgage lender in addition to your mortgage account number. Further, your conveyancer will also need the outstanding balance on your mortgage. For this, your conveyancer will request your mortgage lender for an exact mortgage statement

Please note that the information provided on this page:

  • Does not provide a complete or authoritative statement of the law;
  • Does not constitute legal advice by Net Lawman;
  • Does not create a contractual relationship;
  • Does not form part of any other advice, whether paid or free.
Contact us about this article

We would love to hear what you think about this article and how we could improve it. Please do let us know. However, we shan't be able to reply to your specific questions. If you have a question about a document, please contact us.

Leave feedback about this page