Different types of tenancy: which agreement should you use?

Article reference: UK-IA-RES05
| 5 min read



What if you choose the wrong type of document?

Is a license agreement suitable?

Using a tenancy agreement

When not to use an assured shorthold tenancy agreement




Tenancy or lease

In law, there is no difference. In usage, statutes about residential occupancy use the word "tenancy" and those regulating commercial occupancy use the word "lease". We all follow that usage. So we talk about residential tenancy agreements and business property leases.

Tenancies and residential licences

Briefly, a tenancy is a right to exclusive occupation of a residential property. A licence grants more limited permissions to use a property for certain pre-agreed purposes only. The contract for each records the terms of the deal.

What if you choose the wrong type of document?

The law protects residential tenants and there are no clever ways around it.

Many landlords have realised that licence agreements don't have some of the onerous terms in them that tenancy agreements do. So they use a licence agreement instead. However, residential tenancy is one area of the law where statute law (passed by Parliament) overides whatever is written in an agreement.

So the test of whether you have a licence or a tenancy doesn't depend what is written in the contract, or whether you're letting a room or a whole property, but rather how the deal works in practice.

If you use the wrong type of document, you may well find that you are not entitled even to the protection that the law would give you otherwise. It is crucial to choose not only the right type of document, but a document that will protect you as well as possible within the framework of the law.

Is a licence agreement suitable?

A licence is the best document if the tenant is sharing accommodation on a temporary basis. For example, a licence agreement might be used for:

  • a lodger in your home
  • hostel type services
  • short-term holiday accommodation

If you need a residential licence agreement, look at our agreement for a lodger.

A licence agreement isn't suitable if:

  • the landlord does not live in the property for the majority of the time
  • the landlord does not share use of facilities (such as cleaning facilities) and space (such as a lounge)
  • some rooms, such as a bedroom, are for the exclusive occupation of the 'tenant' and not the landlord
  • the tenant can choose his roommate he shares his bedroom
  • the tenant can lock the landlord out of his room

What problems could arise if I use a licence instead of a tenancy agreement?

The principal problem is that you may not be able to obtain vacant possession. So you might be stuck with unsociable tenants you would prefer not to have, or who don't pay the rent.

Using a tenancy agreement

You need a tenancy agreement for every other residential letting situation. The most common type is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement (mostly abbreviated to AST). You can download an easy to edit template agreement from Net Lawman pre-customised to the type of property you are letting, such as one for a furnished flat.

Under an AST:

  • the tenant has exclusive occupation of all or part of the property, giving the tenant privacy and preventing the landlord from entering without advance permission
  • the landlord charges a market rent, usually fixed for the term of the tenancy
  • special rules apply as to the notice to be served to obtain possession, even on expiry of the agreed term

When not to use an assured shorthold tenancy agreement

There are situations where an AST is unsuitable. These include:

To complete the picture,the full list of tenancy types which are expressly excluded from qualification as an assured shorthold tenancy inlcudes ones that are:

  • granted to a company or an organisation (e.g. tenant is a housing association or a limited company). Assured and assured shorthold tenancies may only be granted to an individual or in the case of a joint tenancy, joint tenants where the tenants are individuals. (Housing Act 1988, s.1);
  • granted by a resident landlord. A resident landlord is defined as one who continuously lives in the same property as his tenant. A landlord living in a separate flat or house converted into flats in which his tenant(s) live(s) may be a resident landlord. A landlord living in a separate flat in the same purpose-built block of flats as his tenant is not a resident landlord;
  • subject to Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954;
  • allowing the tenant to occupy the property for a holiday (use a holiday property rental agreement)
  • granted by an educational body specified within a list issued by the Secretary of State to a student studying at that same institution
  • in which the landlord is the Crown or a Government Department
  • that is classed as a protected tenancy under the Rent Act 1977 or the Rent (Agriculture) Act 1976
  • entered into before 15 January 1989, or arising as a result of a contract entered into before then
  • of a licensed premises (a pub or bar)
  • where the landlord is a local authority, a housing action trust, certain specified statutory bodies or a fully mutual housing association (unless they are old style assured tenancies with rent below £100,000 per year that have been converted to assured shorthold tenancies)
  • rent-free or where the annual rent is less than two thirds the rateable value of the property

Further information

If you are interested in reading more about landlord law, we have a legal guide to the law on residential tenancies that provides a good overview.

Please note that the information provided on this page:

  • Does not provide a complete or authoritative statement of the law;
  • Does not constitute legal advice by Net Lawman;
  • Does not create a contractual relationship;
  • Does not form part of any other advice, whether paid or free.
Contact us about this article

We would love to hear what you think about this article and how we could improve it. Please do let us know. However, we shan't be able to reply to your specific questions. If you have a question about a document, please contact us.

Leave feedback about this page