Building contract: small works
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
This is a simple construction contract for any small works to a residential property.
It will help ensure that the builder or project manager is paid on time, and is protected against claims by the client.
It covers just those areas where you most need legal strength, such as: limiting your liability if things go wrong, cash collection, payment for extras, and no posting of bad publicity on social networks.
Importantly, it provides the simplest way to deal with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
The contract can be used for a single one-off project, or for multiple projects where the terms under which discrete jobs will be performed remain the same.
We include drafting notes to make quite clear what the text means and to advise you on choosing from the options we give.
Note: that this document is drawn for use by a builder engaged to work on residential building works for the owner, including on renovations, extensions and maintenance.
It does not comply with the HGCRA 1996 (the Construction Act 96) as amended by the LDEDCA, 2009 and governed by the "scheme for construction contracts", and therefore is not suitable for large or grant aided projects.
Net Lawman offers a number of alternative construction industry and services contracts. This contract is for higher value work using employees and sub-contractors.
If you are a tradesman working by himself or herself, this document may be more suitable.
If you are a client, we have a version of this agreement that favours the property owner over the contractor.
- Definitions of special terms
- Interpretation: explaining the agreement
- Client warranties: including making sure the party who signs has authority to do so
- Work assignments: specifications and organisation
- Builder’s payment: the system you use and making sure you get paid
- Confidentiality: no using social networks
- Use of sub-contractors: basic ground rules to keep your client happy
- Limitation of liability: helps you avoid being caught out
- Termination of the agreement
- Transferring the contract by either side
- Uncontrollable events (just in case you need it)
- Miscellaneous legal matters
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
"I have used you in the past and am always impressed!"Diane Bantten (Acquit Debt Recovery)
"Your site is very easy to understand I have used you a few times and you are the best on line."Cornerstones Lettings Carmarthen
"I have been really impressed by your service and will use your company again, and more importantly, recommend it."Sandra