Section 40 notice: request by landlord for information
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
This notice complies with Section 40(1) of the LTA 1954. It is suitable for landlords and agents of landlords.
It is to be used by a landlord who wishes to enquire as to the occupation of the tenant and any sub-tenants so that he can make an informed decision about whether to renew the tenancy.
A notice should be served in plenty of time to allow time to respond and for the landlord to then issue the relevant forms after. The process is described here.
We suggest eight months before the end of the tenancy. There are certain time requirements to be complied with when serving a section 25 or issuing a section 26 notice (which of course may well be served after you serve a s40 notice). By acting early, you can get the result you want.
There is a slightly different version of this form to use if the tenant is requesting information.
Application and features
- Official, statutory form required for serving notice
- Allows you to obtain information about the tenant and tenancy before you make further decisions
- Suitable for any business tenancy enquiry
- Details of the parties
- Address and description of the property
- Relevant questions to determine the use of the premises
- Important notes for the landlord, including information required and validity of the notice
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current English law.
"I have used you in the past and am always impressed!"Diane Bantten (Acquit Debt Recovery)
"Brilliant. I am most grateful to Net Lawman. Your service standard is unparallel. I would strongly recommend any individual or organisation to Net Lawman."Dr. Smarajit Roy
"Great to be able to download and use a variety of legal documents for all types of lettings."Christopher st james