This agreement licenses publication of a text or musical composition. Effectively, the author or composer sells the rights to sell the work further within limitations.
The document could be used by either an author or composer, or the publisher. It can be edited to give legal and commercial advantage to one side or the other. It covers protection for both sides in reasonable balance.
We have taken account of industry procedures in publishing, for example, for control of the publishing process, and for advertising.
The document includes:
- optional limitations on the extent of the licence
- provisions for subsidiary rights to be specified and further royalties paid
- options for all royalty calculations
- extensive provisions for royalty payment procedures, including option to inspect publisher’s accounts
- strong protection of author’s rights, including moral rights
- a control procedure in case of infringement by a third party
- preservation of the author's rights to sell the same material in different markets